This is a quite isolated location with very little local car traffic and is quite dark; limiting magnitude is perhaps 6.5. Light domes from Denver to the southwest and Fort Collins to the west obscure maybe 20 degrees. Views in all other locations are very dark, only 3 or 4 yard lights are visible a couple miles or so away to the west and southwest. Low hills to the northwest help cut off some prevailing winds. A few cactuses are present so watch where you set up.
US Forest Service dispersed camping rules apply. Be sure to set up less than 300 feet from the center line of the road. You might want to keep in mind that the fine for illegal camping in the Pawnee National Grasslands is $20K.
Location: 1 mile south of Keota, CO in the Pawnee Grasslands
GPS Coordinates: 40° 41' 2" N 104° 4' 34" W; or 40.683889 N 104.076111 W
Directions: From the I-25 / Hwy 14 interchange in Fort Collins:
- Travel EAST on Hwy 14 for 50 miles (or 13 miles EAST from Crow Valley / Briggsdale)
- Just past mile marker 189 (about 100 yards or so) turn LEFT onto CR103
- Travel NORTH on CR 103 (well graded gravel road) for 3.0 miles. Area is open range so watch out for cattle.
- At the junction of CR96 take a RIGHT onto the FOREST ROAD 96 trail (and this really does mean just a trail -- aka cow path)
- Travel 0.5 miles to the SITE.
The location is on your RIGHT (south). There's a patch of ground around there just off the trail that's fairly bare.
Note: if you turn left onto CR96 you're going the wrong way and will eventually end up in a local farmers driveway.
(You can move and resize the map below. The placing of the pin is approximate.)
Nearest Clear Sky Chart: